My husband, Ryan, has the primary Love Language of Words of Affirmations. I try hard to make sure I affirm him often, but when I try to do it on an almost daily basis sometimes I feel like I am doing the same things over and over. Talk about boring! And I never want Ryan to think I am not genuine because I am repeating the same things over and over. So I set out to find some variety in the ways that I let him know how awesome he is. That is why I did the first post of a list of Words of Affirmations ideas. Like I said I try to give affirming words often so needless to say I needed some more ideas! Again I am sharing an addition of ideas that I have done for Ryan.
-Put a note on the inside of a cereal/granola bar box.
-While on vacation (yes with your spouse) send a postcard to your home address for your man to get when you arrive home. Tell them how much you enjoyed the time/experience together.
-Write a short story for them or even a short book. It is ok if it is stick figures!
– Make them an exploding box with notes and pictures.
– Leave a note on the inside of a lid. (Ryan and I take groceries to work each week for our snacks so sometimes he finds notes in them.)
– Have the kids do a questionnaire about daddy/mommy then give it to them. Here is an idea, but you can use it anytime not just Father’s Day!
-Make a short video clip telling your spouse what drew you to them.
– Create a handmade card and write a love note inside.
– Email or print a picture of you and your spouse. Tell them why you like that picture so much, the memories you created, the fun you had, or how hot they look.
– Send out a private Facebook message to some of their closest friends and ask them to leave a random comment on your spouse’s wall telling/reminding them why they enjoy having them as a friend.
– Praise about your guy to others while they are around.
-While laying in bed at night tell them you are so grateful to have another day with them.
– Write an original (or find one that describes the situation well) poem to your spouse.
– Ask your spouse how they are doing on achieving their goal they are working towards. Then, encourage them to continue to work towards it.
– Write an encouraging quote or one that describes your spouse so they can use it as a bookmark.
-Make a coupon that says: “Let me tell you what I think of you…” Let them redeem it when they need a pick me up.
– Call their office phone/cell phone when you know they won’t answer and leave them a message encouraging them to head into their day strongly.
There are so many ways to show love to your spouse through Words of Affirmation! These are just a few! The important thing is if Words of Affirmations is your mates primary Love Language that you “speak” it often and you are genuine with your words. Mix it up and have fun with it. You and your man both will enjoy it!
I would like to acknowledge speaking Words of Affirmations comes pretty easy to me even though it is not my own Love Language. I think that is because I am a optimist at heart (and because I truly believe my man is an amazing guy)! With that I would also like to acknowledge that speaking a Love Language that is “foreign” to us can be hard, frustration and take practice. If you need some guidance on the importance of Love Languages and how to implement them you might want to check out this 5 Love Language Webinar by Marriage Works!.
What are some ways you speak Words of Affirmation?
Until Next Time- Truly Love,